Innovation Brewer – Great Divide Brewing Company
Great Divide Brewing Company, an award-winning regional craft brewery located in Denver, Colorado, is adding an Innovation Brewer to its team!
This position’s primary responsibilities will be to research and develop new beers, write recipes and provide technical direction to the rest of the brewing staff so that they can effectively execute new ideas through both the pilot system and main brew house. The innovation brewer will be a member of the company’s product development team and, in that role, will partner with Sales and Marketing and the technical brewing community in order to translate product development concepts into technical recipes, pilot beers and plans that can be scaled up to shift and production brewing. In addition, the innovation brewer will consult with brewing staff and brewery management in order to provide input into engineering recommendations that will enable innovative beer styles and/or improve the quality of existing brands. The innovation brewer is responsible for coordination and execution of all collaboration brews.
This position will be based out of Denver, Colorado.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities Include but are not Limited to:
- Using subject matter knowledge (Brewing & Fermentation of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages), delivers innovations, renovation opportunities and process improvements
- Researches and writes recipes for new beers
- Integrates knowledge of beverage materials, ingredients and equipment interaction in support of successful and effective technical solutions
- Contributes to the company as a subject matter expert in brewing by keeping up to speed on industry developments and providing ideas and best practices into the innovation pipe line
- Effectively researches industry trends through reading, networking and attending industry events and beer tastings
- Learns and adheres to standard operating and safety procedures in wort production, vessel cleaning and sanitation, yeast handling, fermentation and maturation, sample collection and filtration operations.
- Ensures all paperwork is thoroughly completed and submitted in a timely manner.
- Maintains a clean and sanitary work environment at all times.
- Works with Operations Manager and Brewing Manager on brewhouse/cellar schedule to coordinate labor and materials while maintaining yeast health and adequate finished goods inventory.
- Communicates with cellar/brew/filtration staff frequently to maintain efficiency and quality.
- Works with Operations Manager and Brewing Manager to forecast materials usage and develop contracts for brewhouse materials
- Reports any mechanical issues to Operations Manager immediately.
- Adheres to the schedule as closely as possible, deviating only under the direction of the management team.
- Studies and understands all brew house and cellar WIP, knowing the age, gravity and biological status of each product.
- Assists in training of incoming employees as needed.
- Participates in brewery tastings (cellar, aged, product development, etc.)
- Attends special events, brewers meetings and brewery staff meetings
Education, Experience and Certification/License Requirements:
- At least 5 year of experience as a professional brewer
- Proven success in a leadership role managing 5 or more employees in a brewery setting
- Extensive experience and understanding of preventive maintenance, team motivation and management, ordering and inventory management, record keeping and data analysis
- Extensive experience and understanding of the brewing process, sanitation, yeast health and fermentation and beer transfer and clarification
- Experience with brewery quality assurance and quality control plans
- Experience in the theories and production of sour beer styles
- Formal brewing education preferred
- Advanced computer proficiency including MS Office Suite.
- Positive attitude with an ongoing sense of urgency
- Excellent time management skills
- Proven ability to work with others
- Demonstrated mechanical aptitude
- A flexible schedule with the ability to work nights and weekends
- Strong ability to teach/mentor and motivate all types of individuals
- Advanced mathematical and reasoning skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Advanced sensory analysis skills
- Artistic vision coupled with creative thinking
- Strong overall understanding of OSHA regulations and requirements
- Must be able to lift 55 pounds and move 175 pounds regularly
- Must have the ability to regularly stand, walk, use hands, reach, climb, work from heights, stoop, kneel and crouch
- The ability to work near moving parts and machinery
- Close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, the ability to adjust focus and the ability to see color; either with or without accommodation
- The ability to work in loud, wet, cold, hot, indoor and outdoor environments frequently
Qualified applicants should possess superior knowledge and passion of the craft beer business, experience in a similar role at a brewery, ability to excel in an collaborative work environment, exceptional work ethic and ability to understand the big picture while keeping a close eye on the details, strong written and verbal communication skills, capability to multi-task, and a major appreciation for organization. Applicants should also possess reliable car transportation, a clean driving record, night and weekend flexibility, and an outstanding relationship-building personality.
We offer a full benefits package, incentive plan, and 401K.
Interested and qualified applicants should send a resume and cover letter to [email protected] with the subject line “Innovation Brewer”. No drop-ins, no recruiters, no phone calls, please. Interviews will be conducted as qualified resumes are received and position will be posted until filled.